Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Dark Empire Review


Dark Empire
by Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy

Rating: 2 out of 5

Originally released as a comic series and later compiled into a trade paperback graphic novel and later produced into a full cast audio drama, this is the story of Luke going to the Dark Side and fighting alongside the cloned Emperor.

Sounds exciting.

Too bad it isn’t.

Maybe there was something lost in the translation from comic book page to audio drama, I don’t know. I’m not here to make excuses for a poor story and that’s what this was. Despite having a full cast to read lines (with Billy Dee Williams as the only actor from the movie to perform) and the usual sound effects, this story suffered from the beginning. Poor action sequences, re-used lines from the movies, and cheesy plots, I began to wonder if I was back in the 70s watching Frank and Joe Hardy fight crime on TV.

After suffering through this (thankfully) short show, the only redeeming quality I could find was having a full cast. It was nice to have a woman be Leia and a man be Luke and a different man be Han. I hate giving bad reviews, especially in a genre or series that I enjoy so much. But I have to call it like I see it.

And I saw this as a bad audio book. Try the comic. Maybe it’s better.

On a side note, this will be the first review I do in HTML. Let me know if there’s a need to have it in PDF or Word format.

Neil@tk42one.com
© 2006 TK42ONE.com Productions

No comments: