Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Hutt Gambit Review

The Hutt Gambit by A. C. Crispin
A review by Neil Richard

Overall Rating = 3 out of 5

Still another average read with Part Two of the Han Solo Trilogy. Han continues to grow and show his background for the reader. He is working for the Hutts now and is primarily running his smuggler ship from the Hutt controlled moon of Nar Shaddaa. While doing his smuggler thing, Han befriends another sketchy character, Lando Calrissian. And of course he falls in love again. In the end, he saves the Smuggler’s Moon from an Imperial attack.

So we start to see a pattern with Han. He’s always trying to do the right thing, but he never quite seems to be able to do the right thing without breaking a few laws. He has a tendency to fall in love with beautiful women that either betray him or die or run off without him. His ship (or other current mode of transportation) is usually in a state of disrepair or is being attacked or both.

One slight disclaimer I forgot to mention on the first review of this series is the fact that I’m listening to the abridged audio version. While I have read these books before, I’m using the audio versions to refresh my memory. The biggest thing I’ve noticed about these audio versions is the use of sound effects. While I’m not exactly a big conniseur of audio books, nearly all of the ones I’ve listened to do not use sound effects. Fortunately for me, the sound effects aren’t that distracting. I can tell some of them are not from Star Wars, but they fit with the scene in the book.

Neil@TK42ONE.com
©2005 TK42ONE.com Productions

No comments: