Monday, May 13, 2013

Scouting the Slump

Scouting the Slump:
Nice easy run this morning to scout out the slump on the trail to see if it's clear for our dump truck to unload some rock. Not much exciting out there beyond a few trees down. Hoping my report will have enough intel to get the  backfill in. Stupid sinkhole is gradually growing and growing. Damn beavers aren't helping either.

Photos:

I call this the Isengard Swamp.


The big trees at Mile 6.25ish.


The small tree at Mile 4.75ish.


Weather:
Temps were about 50F at the start and about 65F by the end. Humidity wasn't that bad since it was cool. No wind. Sun was out.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was a burrito, yogurt, and iced coffee. During the run I had a bottle of Hammer Fizz and a bottle of plain water. Recovery was an iced latte and oatmeal.

Aches and Pains:
Ankles felt a bit wonky this morning. Right knee still had some mild pain but mostly after the run when I was going up my steps. Could also feel some of the sharp and pointy rocks through my shoes. Everything else felt fine.

Gear:
Nothing fancy but since it was cold this morning, I wore a thermal shirt, long tights, shorts, short sleeve shirt, gloves, and a buff. Also took my phone and voice recorder.

Experiment:
Took my knife and cell phone. Phone was mostly to take pictures with though. Knife felt a little uncomfortable in the waist band if I took too high of a step with my right leg.

Splits:
Mile 1 - 11:53
Mile 2 - 14:02
Mile 3+ - 22:37 (includes the extra 0.46 mile to turnaround point, a pee break, and photos of the downed tree)
Mile 4 - 11:53
Mile 5 - 11:31
Finish - 1:12:00

No comments: