Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reverse Brick

Part 1

Hot. Humid. Blah. I'm so cold when winter is here then I regret wishing for warmer days when summer rolls around and roasts me like a damn pig. I wanted to go further today, somewhere around 5 or 6 miles, but the heat got to me too fast so I opted to run and ride. And it was pretty easy to convince myself to shorten my run since the only reason I wanted to go further was because I saw an OBEY sticker on a local street sign. It's the second I've seen in an area and I wanted to snap a picture but alas, I wimped out thanks to the heat.

The rest of the run was fairly boring. Snapped a picture at the bottom of the creek. Saw a dead snake and startled two others (I think, I never saw them but I know they're out to get me). And that was about it.

Photo:

Photo at the bottom of the creek.


Weather:
Temps were about 80F. Humidity was high. Sun was out. Light breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was hash browns, iced latte, and a burrito. It was kind of a cheat day with food but I'm turning a corner because it just wasn't appetizing at all. Took a shot of Hammer Gel before the run. During the run I had a bottle of plain water and a bottle of Hammer Fizz. I didn't finish either but had about half of each. No recovery since I went into my bike ride.

Aches and Pains:
None really.

Gear:
Nothing special.

Experiment:
Took my large pepper spray. Decided to try it in the small pouch it came with. Seemed to work just fine.

Splits:
Outbound - 12:08
Inbound - 12:53
Finish - 25:01

Part 2

Did a fairly quick transition into my bike gear. Ditched my hat, grabbed my helmet and gloves, and swapped my fluids to a different bottle. I then headed down the road to the same stream, just further down stream than earlier. The gravel road was a bit dusty but I didn't kick up too many large rocks to impale my feet. Otherwise, a pretty calm ride. Although I did learn that beavers are afraid of my sneeze. Kind of odd, but hey, whatever keeps that damn things away.

Photo:

Photo of the same water, just further down stream.


Weather:
Temps were about 80F. Humidity was high. Sun was out. Light breeze.

Fluids and Fuel:
Coming off the run, I just took the leftover Hammer Fizz and added some ice cubes. I finished most of it during the ride. Recovery was Hammer Recoverite and leftover pork chop/stuffing/corn.

Aches and Pains:
None really but my feet tend to go numb after being on the bike a bit. Just had to shake out my feet a bit and all was good.

Gear:
Nothing special.

Experiment:
Kept the large pepper spray with me. Rode just fine.

Splits:
Outbound - 13:56
Inbound - 15:00
Finish - 28:57

No comments: