Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Unexpected Substitution

I had hoped this morning would be a repeat of my great run last week with my daughter. She surprised me again last night with the request to run with me this morning. But when I went in to wake her up, it was pretty clear she wasn't coming. So I headed out the door anyway.

And promptly ran into my dad out for a walk. So I walked for him for a bit. Nothing exciting but it made some of the miles go by fairly easy. After he was done walking for the day, I headed back out for more miles and found myself walking and swatting at flies. I pulled the old bait-and-switch on them and managed to kill four of them in less than a quarter of a mile. I came across the scam by accident but I've used it a few times and find that it works pretty well. Just stick one elbow in the air and rest your forearm on your head. The flies attack at the highest point so they simply land on your arm. Where your other hand can beat them to a pulp.

So that's what I did. After I killed the four, I was out of their little zone so I didn't have to put my arm up like an idiot.

And that was about it for the run. Had way more miles on the schedule but I knew with the heat and humidity that I was lucky to get what I got. So I quit there.

Podcast:
https://soundcloud.com/neil-richard/mile-95

Weather:
Temps were about 80F. Humidity was about 90%. Sky was overcast. No wind.

Fluids and Fuel:
Half a coffee before the run. Plain water during the run. Recovery was two egg whites, a few ham slices, coffee, and three slices of toast. The extra slice of toast was just because it was the end of the loaf.

Aches and Pains:
Nothing really. Right hip did feel a little tight but it was okay.

Gear:
Just shorts and a t-shirt.

Today's Motivation:
My running partner. Even though she didn't get out of bed, she still got me excited enough to wake up at 6am and go for a run.

Naughty Neil:
I had a beer last night. Then a bowl of cereal. Not too bad but I ate the cereal way later than my normal night-time snacking routine.

Splits:
Partial Loop 1 - 24:01 (includes coffee-induced bowel movement)
Full Loop 2 - 24:11
Partial Loop 3 - 20:02
Finish - 1:08:14

No comments: