Friday, January 26, 2007

Yes, son, blacks can be racist-edited-

Today's paper had a rather disturbing article about the local NAACP President, Mozett Petway, confronting the Spotsylvania County leaders about the lack of basketball courts in the county's parks. Apparently of the seven parks in the county, only two have basketball courts.


That wasn't the disturbing part.


Petway said the black community favors basketball to most other sports and this failure to include more courts could be perceived as as an attempt to exclude blacks.


Um, can you say WHAT THE FUCK!?


Are you nuts?


Seriously, are you?


To think that a county or its leaders would purposely not add basketball courts in an attempt to exclude blacks from using the parks is insane. The easiest answer (and likely the only answer) the county didn't include the courts is because people like you didn't give them enough money to build them. If the basketball courts are that important to you, get some friends together at the NAACP, get donations, and build one. Or seven.


Mr. Petway, while I doubt you'll ever read this, I would seriously like to thank you for further proving that as I grow older, more militant, black-Americans like you are giving the rest of your race a bad name. It's because of people like you that I, as a white-American, face prejudice and racism in society.


Just look at the NAACP. You don't even need to look at the actions this group takes, just look at it's name. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. COLORED people. If I called you "colored," I'd likely be sued. With February approaching, we, as a nation, are about to celebrate Black History Month. When can we celebrate White History Month? -edited-


That would be racist.


Just as racist as all the others. If we want to live in an equal society, where race and gender do not matter, then we need to live life that way.


Don't cause a ruckass because there are too few basketball courts in the county. That's like saying there's not enough baseball fields for the Latinos. Or not enough Bocce courts for the Italians. Or enough go kart tracks for the rednecks. Or enough golf courses for the businessmen.


Mr. Petway, I sincerely hope that you retract your statement. It was clearly meant to be inflammatory. That's fine. But to make a racist comment and claim unfair treatment because of your race? Well, as Mr. Wu of Deadwood would say, you're nothing but a "cocksucka."


And one final note before I blow my top any further. Below are two athletes that share your last name, Mr. Petway. Yes, the first plays basketball, but isn't it odd that one actually played for the Negro League (that's baseball in case you didn't know).





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, my friend!!! I second that notion.

I despise bigotry, racism, idiocy, and prejudice, and any other form of bias that does not take into account the individual him/herself based on his/her actions. For if the individual is going to be a lazy idiot, then he/she will be perceived lazy and stupid. If he/she will be racist (whether it be against latinos, black, whites, whatever), then he/she will be perceived racist.

To me, the value of a society or community is based upon it's individuals, and if those individuals cannot come together and police their own, well, then deal with the label the rest of society has chosen for you.

I say, get rid of the parks all together, that way the government can be discriminating against children in general, and contribute to fat, lazy America.

I get angry over the fact that racism is always perceived as white vs other, never the other way around. I know as an Irish/Italian, middle-class, white male I am not allowed to celebrate my heritage except for on St. Patricks Day (but I'm allergic to alcohol), and the only I have going for me is I'm not Christian. If I was then I'd really be in a heap of freakin trouble. I would then be considered the paramount of ultimate evil and should be dragged through the streets in chains.

My two cents...

~Epheros

Anonymous said...

WOWWWW!!! well, you're right Mr. Petway will likely not read this blog. But, surprise, surprise in my random boredom I decided to google my FATHER's name. Yep, Mr. Mozett Petway's daughter. (grown and college educated i might add)

The first thing i will say is this: don't you think the media even the little ol free lance star thrives off of stuff like this? Did you ever think things could have been quoted out of context? They may not have been but you can not always believe what you read. Maybe my very well known Father, who happens to have created, facilitated, and ran a local youth basketball program every summer for i believe the last 10 years (ALL RACES) wanted to see courts in the park period. Anything he does or associates himself with becomes a race issue whether he wants it to or not because of the position he holds. He and I have gotten into numerous debates about this ourselves. I too feel any race can be prejudice and people should not always pull the race card. Educated minorities diagree with unjustified race card issues just as much if not more than you do.

My father IS NOT a racist man in any way shape or form. He proudly served in the U.S Army for 21 years, has lived many places and has never spoken or instilled any racist thoughts in anyone including me his own child. How dare you insinuate that he is stupid and a "cocksucka" come on now...you know nothing about him. Do you really think he is that naive to believe that basketball is the only sport black children enjoy? My sister was a trainer for basketball and volleyball. I've taken gymnastics, been a cheerleader, and ran track and field. Maybe he has info you don't know about that MAY actually show there was something there that could be race related. maybe, maybe not.

You have no idea about this man. You don't know that every summer he works his full time job and then exhausts himself and organizes, and referees a dozen or more basketball teams for local youth to have an outlet. Brings home some of their funky jerseys, brings them fresh fruit so they're not dehydrated and runs his 50+ butt up and down the court to referee.

Until you know someone or have spoken to them personally you know nothing. i know this man and while we don't always agree he is NOT a racist in any way shape or form. So, speaking of retracting things...sure would be nice to not type in my father's name and see cocksucka come up...which reminds me..why don't you see what comes up when you type in my father's name i guarantee if you find much you'll find more positive than negative.