Thursday, January 11, 2007

For Better or For Worse, Life will go on


Growing up as a child, I was always a fan of the comic section of the newspaper. Garfield, Marvin, Beetle Bailey, Peanuts, the list goes on. These were an early outlet for me to escape to before I picked up the habit of reading.

As I've grown older, I've made an attempt to follow the comics as they've progressed. And as I've grown older, the characters have stayed young.


I could literally relate to the issues these characters had as I was nearly the same age as the Patterson children. Life imitated art, which imitated life.

And now, striking yet another blow to the comic community, Lynn Johnston will begin to "freeze" the age of the characters. I was devastated to learn that Bill Amend was moving Foxtrot to a Sunday only comic. Now I find how close I was to loosing FBoFW permanently.

Read on here and here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sympathize with you my friend. I used to be a fan of Robotman, I thought that comic strip was funny, but what hooked me and broke me with sundays comics is Calvin and Hobbes.

I have the three volume omnibus of all the strips and have even gotten my boy to enjoy the strips. When I was younger and I found out that Waterson wasn't continuing Calvin and Hobbes I ended up not really following the comics anymore.

Dilbert is one that should I come across it I'll read it, maybe even Far Side, but normally it's rare if I read them. I have been following two online comics lately though, Ctrl+Alt+Del and Order of the Stick.

Oh yeah, Mother Goose and Grimm is another that I enjoyed but lost track of. I suppose one day, if I'm ever ridiculously weathly I'll go out to the bookstore and buy all the books on some of these.

Oh well, when you have your heart broken once it's so hard to heal. ;-)

Take care!

~Epheros