Tuesday, January 07, 2014

A Day at the Beach

Yup, I ran outside today in the "polar vortex" everyone is talking about. Personally, I don't think it was quite that bad but, I will admit, I did get cold. Apparently I ran with the wind for the first half which meant a strong headwind on the way back. Right when I was getting tired and sweaty and cold. So yeah, I got cold but not dangerously so. Best part of the run was getting a wave from the old lady walking her dog outside. And the funny look on her face as I kept trudging along. And the toys I found next to a Dora book titled "A Day at the Beach." I laughed and laughed.

The rest of the run was pretty uneventful. Although my eyes did freeze together once. And I did spill a little bit of water on my glove and it froze in seconds. Outside of that, it was a pretty typical day on the street.

Photo:
Me and Dora chilled outside for a bit.


Weather:
Temps were 10F to 15F. Winds were moderate making wind chills about -10F. The sun was out and I could feel it in a few spots but not many.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was two eggs, two vegan sausage patties, two waffles, yogurt, and coffee. During the run I had a bottle of plain water and a bottle of Hammer Fizz. I finished the Fizz and most of the water. Recovery was leftover pork chops and rice.

Aches and Pains:
Had some rubbing on my right heel from my pants zipper but not enough to worry about. Face was cold but again, not enough to worry about. Everything else was fine.

Gear:
Wore shorts, pants, another pair of pants, and another pair of shorts. Wore a thermal top, long sleeve top, and a wind breaker. Wore a winter hat, two pairs of gloves, a neck gaiter, and a balaclava. Didn't take my phone because I was worried it would freeze.

Heart Rate:
Didn't wear my monitor but I'm pretty sure my first two miles were in Zone 2 and the rest were Zone 3.

Splits:
Outbound - 36:43
Inbound - 36:10
Finish - 1:12:53
RHR - 61

No comments: