Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Honeysuckle

Report:
Went to work early so I could run during an early lunch so I could make it to all my meetings today. The weather and overall mood of the run was great. Not the best but pretty damn great. Sun was out, cool breeze was blowing, and I was in a good mood before I even started my run. Which means by the end of my run I was overflowing with good vibes.

As for general excitement during the run, biggest accomplishment was being able to run about 70% of the first hill and 100% of the second hill. That went a long way to making me feel great. Second tidbit of excitement was on the last tenth of a mile or so I managed to pass some people out walking. Always feels good to pass people and I used it as a bit of motivation to finish strong.

Beyond that, fairly boring but pleasant run.

Weather:
Temps were about 65F at the start but warmed to about 70F by the end. Was warm enough to ditch my shirt by the end of the first mile. Humidity was moderate but not really noticeable due to the wind. Wind was cool and about 15mph.

Fluids and Fuel:
Breakfast was yogurt, water, oatmeal, and a bean and cheese burrito (these last two are from Wegmans). Had some minor burping from the burrito during the run but no more than maybe 5 burps and this was after 2 hours of digesting. During the run I had two bottles of Hammer Fizz, one was Lemon-Lime and one was Mango. Thankfully the Mango flavor was a sample because I didn't much like it. In fact I dumped nearly all of it on the way back. I finished nearly all of the other bottle though. recovery was Hammer Recoverite followed by an iced coffee.

Aches and Pains:
None. Yay!

Gear:
Took my phone to take pictures and to listen to some music. Don't know why but I felt like listening to some Edward Sharpe (aka Alexander) and the Magnetic Zeros.


Codename - Honeysuckle
When I was a kid, I learned from another kid in the neighborhood that you could get just a smidgen of honey out of a honeysuckle plant; specifically the flower. Haven't dared to try it since then but on today's run I ran down the road next to an empty field and suddenly smelled the blossoms. It hung there almost like a cloud so I had to stop and enjoy the moment.


Splits:
Outbound - 20:41
Inbound - 18:28
Finish - 39:09 (current PR for this route is 38:44 making this my second fastest)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I love the smell of honeysuckle. Also, GREAT music. I haven't heard Edward Sharpe. Am I out of the loop?

How many meetings does a lumberjack have in a day? : ))

Neil Richard said...

I first heard of Edward Sharpe on either Conan of Jimmy Fallon. He reminded me of Anton Krupicka (my hero of ultra running).

As for the meetings, well, I don't always get to be a Lumberjack. But when I do, I usually drink girly beers.