Wednesday, August 06, 2008

A Voluntary Meme

Yes, I'm not really a fan of memes but I happen to like this one. Mainly because I keep my books on my nightstand. So, courtesy of Gabriele, I bring you the The Bedside Table Meme.

The Table:
A Shaker style nightstand purchased in Farmville, Virginia when I was in high school (early 90s). I believe it's made of oak or pine, but the finish is a pale, pine look. It holds:
  • my alarm clock (a piece of crap that still works)
  • my every-day-carry stuff (wallet, keys, cell phone, pocket knife, iPod, and sunglasses)
  • a box of Kleenex
  • a small hand-painted wooden book with stickers on it (thanks to Elizabeth)
  • a blue and white gingham, hand-sewn coverlet (thanks to Yvonne)
  • a small brass lamp purchased specifically for the nightstand (at or around the same time the nightstand was purchased)

Inside the door, well, we don't need to go there.

The Method:
I generally just read with my head on the pillows. Nothing fancy like I did when I was kid and used my pillows to hide the light from shining under the door. Dad never liked me staying up late to read.

Reading at the Moment:
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (in free PDF format, so technically it's not on my bedside table)

Dies the Fire by S. M. Stirling (in audio format, so again, technically not on my bedside table - this is also a re-read)

The Tower of Shadows by Drew Bowling (a real, honest to God mass market paperback book)

Can't Put Down:
Dies the Fire. Even though this is a re-read, I'm enjoying the audio version very much. Great series if you haven't read it.

Gathering Dust:
I'm ashamed to say it, but the Star Wars Legacy of the Force series. Just haven't felt very much like reading sci-fi.

Secret Indulgence:
True crime. But if you know my B.A. was in Criminal Justice you'd guess that. Making romance my true secret indulgence. Specifically the Nerd series by Vicki Lewis Thompson.

Looking Forward To:
Outside of that, I'm itching to read A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

And no, I won't tag anybody. I just don't operate that way. But feel free to join in on the meme.

1 comment:

1979 semi-finalist said...

This is a pretty good Meme...I started doing it but got interrupted...maybe someday I'll get to come back to it!