Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Lace Reader Review


The Lace Reader
Brunonia Barry

Brunonia Barry has written what I can only describe as the equivalent of a lace novel. Some readers will see the patterns early on while others will only see a nice piece of art. I happen to fall into the latter category.

The book is, simply put, a chick-lit novel. The main character, Towner, has lived a hard life and returns home when her aunt dies. She has to face those she left behind, the labels others have placed on her, and new challenges. All while recovering from surgery. Salem, as in the home of the burned witches, also plays a character of sorts in the book. We see how it has become a center for tourism based on its past. It is also a gateway to other smaller, subset communities. My favorite being the social community of cray people.

The plot was confusing at times but had some solid pieces to anchor the reader. Being a guy, I think I had a harder time than a woman would in following the story and the emotions. The best comparison I can make is The Lace Reader is like The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants. Only with lace readers and witches in New England.

The marketing was outstanding for this novel. I may not know all that goes into marketing a new novel from a debut author, but the publishers have impressed me. By using social and viral advertising, and awesome prizes, they've done well in getting the word out.

My bottom line is this. I enjoyed the book. Even if it wasn't my cup of tea (or piece of lace), I still found it entertaining. I especially liked the ending when the pattern was finally revealed for the novice lace reader I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You realize, of course, that you've just now crossed the boundary from testosterone to estrogen. I can see it now, you'll be providing reviews for all those dime romance novels that involve the words "throbbing gristle missile" and "fuzzy love pouch".

But, if you do read some of the books by Laurel Hamilton I'd like to know your take on those.

Have fun!! :-D

Neil Richard said...

Well, despite how much I may love those phrases, no, I won't be turning to the dark side by reading romance. Although the Nerd Who Loved Me was pretty good.

No, instead I'll keep to my fantasy genre and audio books until another free book, like the Lace Reader, comes across my bow.