Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chabon is a literary God


So I just finished Michael Chabon's Yiddish Policemen's Union on audio. There were some technical aspects that were different than other audio books I've listened to before. First, the CDs were labeled with each track's length as well as the length of the CD itself. And there was music at the beginning and end of each CD. Those were good things. But that damn music played over the start of the first track and it drove me nuts.
Outside of that, we have Chabon's skill. The plot was weak. Unabashedly so. In fact, there were times that the plot wasn't even there. Or if it was, I couldn't find it. But his skill with words was undeniably god-like. The only other person I've read that has skills even remotely close is Rothfuss. You can tell Rothfuss spends time crafting the right word and the right sentence. But Chabon is not only profound, he's prolific. Sentence after sentence rang home in my head like the bells of a church tower tolling the hour.
So, check it out. You'll thank me. Awesome book. I now want to check out some of his backlist.

2 comments:

Trina said...

The only other Chabon I've read is The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, and it was amazing. If you enjoyed The Yiddish, then you should read The Amazing Adventures-I think you might like it even more. It follows the lives of two cousins back in the beginning of the golden era of comic books. But it's about so much more.

Can't wait to hear The Yiddish for myself.

Daniel Ausema said...

Agreed on Kavalier & Clay--it's a great book. Summerland is a good YA book also, especially if you grew up a baseball fan. I have Gentlemen of the Road out from the library at the moment--apparently it came out serialized last year. Looks good, but I haven't read it yet. I definitely hope to get to this book sometime too.