Friday, July 14, 2006

Night Review


Night
by Elie Wiesel

Rating: 5 out of 5

If you think you’re depressed, read this book and you’ll discover you have no idea what depression is. There were moments when I didn’t know if I wanted to throw up, cry, or scream in anger. It turns out I ended up sitting in stunned silence most of the time.

For those that have never read this short, auto-biography, be warned. It’s not a quick read despite its short length. There are times you may need to stop and do something fun for fear you’ll be entrapped by the power of Wiesel’s words. This is such an emotional draining novel, there were times I felt more exhausted from reading this than from experiencing an actual death in my family.

For those that have read this, congratulations. You now have survived a fraction of the Holocaust. Be thankful you can put this book down and escape the horror. Others weren’t so lucky.

For those that have not just survived reading this story but have survived the real thing, I commend you. If there were Olympic medals given for emotional and psychological strength, you would get gold. Hardly words to express my amazement at your strength, but that’s the best my meager imagination can conjure.

For those that believe this never happened, this extermination of a culture, this harvesting of souls, you are the proud winner of being the dumbest asshat on the planet.

Neil@tk42one.com
© 2006 TK42ONE.com Productions
(image placeholder)

No comments: