Thursday, January 31, 2019

40 Years Ago Today - January 31, 1979

In a letter from my mother to my grandfather, there is a solid accounting of my vocabulary and thought patterns at a very young age (roughly two years old). Based on the card being a birthday card, I assume it was sent to my grandfather, Ted Hollingsworth. His birthday was February 2nd and none of the other grandparents had a birthday that was close to the end of January. A transcription of the letter follows the scans.




Jan 31, 1979
6pm

Dear Grandpa,

Train, choo choo train. Wheels. Helped Daddy downstairs Mommy's car. (Gary fixed the Honda.) Helped Mommy "vash" dishes. Boat soap (He's pretending soap is a boat.) Dry hands towel. Go downstairs. Hot fire downstairs. Daddy downstairs.

"Neil did you sleep in a bed last nite?" Neil sleep bed no. Neil sleep ni nite *big* bed!!! Nite Mommy Nite Daddy. Baby bed. Teddy bear bed. Book, Book, Book Bed. (all those are in his bed.) Neil fall down bed hit head. Head hurt (he fell out!)

H1! I'm cooking supper. Neil has said all this in the last 10 min. I've talked too, asked him stuff - but part of it he initiated. He's fun + funny too.

Eat downstairs. Daddy eat downstairs. A bunny. Ear down no. - He has a bunny

[arrow drawn to next page]
[page2]

book that the ear moves. But only 1 ear does. So he shows me which one does + which doesn't + both of Neil's do!

Gotta get dinner on plates to eat in front of fire. Heater broke, it's snowing + guy won't be here till tomorrow. Gotta stay warm.

School starts Wed. (a wk.) I started

[page 3]

some independent study yesterday. Worked on my paper today (Cleumacl [sp?] correlation between oil + canoe locations) to be published. My prof wants it written + typed by next Wed.

We love + miss you a lot. Thanks for being our Dad + Grandpa.

Thought it would be more interesting for you to know what Neil's thinking + talking about these days.

Love,

G G + N [Gary, Gayle, and Neil]

No comments: