Monday, May 01, 2017

40 Years Ago Today - May 1977 - Part I

May of 1977 was a busy month. There was travel to Arizona and Nebraska and possibly New Mexico. Starting in Arizona, we paid a visit to Aunt Wilma and Uncle George. Make sure you pay attention to my mother's shirt.


















After Arizona, came Nebraska where we visited with Grandma Bertha. At the time, she was married to Merle Yaryan, her second husband. When I first started looking at these pictures, I had assumed that Grandma Bertha had come to visit us in California. But then I noticed that the kitchen furniture was different and that there appeared to be a bottle of Dorothy Lynch salad dressing on the table. For those that don't know, Dorothy Lynch salad dressing is kind of a blend between French dressing, Thousand Island dressing, and Ranch dressing. But more importantly, it was almost exclusively found in Nebraska, even into the early 1990s. I remember on later trips to Nebraska when I was older, we would stock up on Dorothy Lynch dressing and Squirt soda because they were impossible to find on the east coast. And while Grandma Bertha could have brought it with her during a visit, the exterior shot of her, my dad, and myself, match an earlier photo I have of her posing outside of her home with Christmas decorations. I was later able to confirm from my father that it was the home of both Merle and Bertha during their marriage when they lived in Mullen, Nebraska.




The New Mexico portion of the trip will be in a separate post, partly because there are a lot of photos, but mostly because I'm not certain it was the same trip.

No comments: