Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Light Update

This is a brief update on a previous post I made for running at night. You may recall the issues I had with the Nathan L.E.D. Safety Strobe. My biggest concern was that it did not hold together very well. The simply design of opening and closing to replace the batteries was a bit too simple. Because of this and the fact that the clip did not really clip to anything caused frequent drops, which in turn resulted in the batteries flying across the road. Not something a runner wants to deal with while a car is approaching in the dark.

So I threw them away and found a replacement. The RoadID Firefly Supernova. Read on.

RoadID Firefly Supernova

FEATURES:

- On/Off Switch - You twist the lens cap to turn it on and off. Works surprisingly well with gloves on. Didn't expect that. There are little knobs that stick out from the lens that gives you some grip. And best of all, you twist it tighter to turn it on so there's no worry of twisting too far and taking the top off. There are two modes, steady and flashing. Pretty simple.

- Clip - The clip works and works well on this. In fact, it's a little hard to take off of a strap when you put it on, but I'd rather have that than have it fall off.



- Waterproof - Again, I trust them when they say it's waterproof up to 300 feet. It has performed well in rain storms though, so the waterproof part I can believe.



- Batteries - This is the biggest weakness I've found so far. The batteries are unique to the device, meaning you need to either make them (if you know how) or buy them direct from RoadID. They are two watch-style batteries that have been attached to each other with some heat shrink plastic on the sides. You can flip the batteries to change between steady and flash mode (another minor negative). According to RoadID though, the batteries will last up to 250 hours in flashing mode.



- Brightness - According to RoadID, the light is visible up to one mile. I have to believe them on this one as I haven't tested it yet. But I have blinded myself while looking at the light.

FIT:
Small, light, and easy to use. You can put them on the back of your hat, a chest strap for your Camelback, or even your shoes. These are very small and very bright and very easy to clip on where you need them.



CARE:
No specific care instructions, but I would recommend drying them out after they've been in the rain.

OVERALL:
Bottom line on these lights is get them. They work, they're light, they're reasonably priced, and best of all, they're bright. I only have the red lens lights but I'd bet you just about use the white lenses to see by if you put them on your shoes.



MEASUREMENTS:
You can see my measurements in this gallery if you'd like.

No comments: