Monday, July 07, 2008

Get down tonight



Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight.....

Why was that song going through my head? Because I just finished reading the first installment of Jim C. Hines' trilogy, Goblin Quest. A story about a goblin named Jig. Get it? Jig? Do a little dance?

Yeah, add some cheese to that joke.

And that's what makes this story great. The cheese. And I mean that in a good way, not a leave-it-on-the-counter-until-it's-green-and-fuzzy kind of way. Goblin Quest is one of those fantasy novels that turns things on it's head. It will make you laugh, often times out loud at the crazy antics and stereotypes in the book. Think something along the lines of Spaceballs meets Tolkien with a dash of Anton Strout. Where Joe Abercrombie makes you cringe with fear and gore, Hines makes you laugh at a goblin's ability to milk his dumb luck.

There, I think the only name I haven't dropped is that of Patrick Rothfuss. So if you need a good laugh, read Goblin Quest. The story is a little weak at the end (when the adventuring party parts company) but Jig is amazingly a solid character that has room to grow. Something I never thought I'd say about a goblin.

No comments: