Thursday, June 01, 2006

Dark Empire II Review


Dark Empire II
by Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

This will be the last Star Wars book I trudge through for a bit. My patience is wearing thin with the low quality of the older books. I know I’m putting myself through this torture for a reason, but I can only take so much. It’s starting to become an endless epic like the Wheel of Time series.

One point I’d like to comment on with this particular installment that was quite pleasing was the transition between scenes. Many times one scene would end with half a sentence where the last word would be a character’s name. It would be immediately followed by a new scene with that character’s name being the first word. Almost like the conversation wasn’t interrupted but the story switched to a different scene. A neat technique that I haven’t seen in awhile.

Aside from that, we see the birth of Anakin Solo and the death of yet another of Luke’s would-be suitors. We see some new Jedi appear that were “lost” when Vader came a-hunting. The oddest had to be the guy in a steam-driven exo-suit of sorts. I guess I haven’t seen it all in the Star Wars universe.

We also get to see Bob Fett make more attempts at capturing Han and crew. I’m not too happy with how they made it more of a personal vendetta against Han than a bounty. Seems to me like Fett would have kept his professionalism a bit more.

That’s it for now. Stay tuned for more reviews.

Neil@tk42one.com
© 2006 TK42ONE.com Productions

No comments: